Post by Brambleberry » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Oh Teri that was superb! :heart:

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Empire of Ash

Post by Serethil » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:20 pm

Oh Teri.... that was so excellent. And so so sad. I had to wipe my eyes and blow my nose before I could post! That animated pic is just fantastic - you are so damn good at this!
Loving fantasy since 1960 or so, FRPGs since 1975 (appx), and CRPGs since 1985....

When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back,
Three from the Circle, three from the track;
Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone:
Five will return, and one go on alone.

Andra Hawksdaughter
Overlord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Andra Hawksdaughter » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:40 pm

Gods, poor Nathan!! To go through that again! This was more than excellent Teri, and made me want to rage and bawl...Reading the spoiler, I didn't give a damn, these shots were great!
Image "Life is short, eat dessert first."

Kane
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Empire of Ash

Post by Kane » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:36 pm

Teridactyl wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:30 pm
"Oh, he was a locksmith," said the watchman. "Best there was. Wasn't a lock in town he hadn't fixed or replaced himself. With all the break-ins around Goodneighbor, it certainly kept him busy. Heh heh, some of us even teased him that he was the one keeping himself in such high demand..." Both guards chuckled.
As a locksmith, I resent your implication.

;)
:turkey:

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Teridactyl » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:30 pm

Oberland Out
HA HA! Get it?

I can haz settlement nao, pls?

Just a charming little hippy commune where the hair is long, the love is free, and the STD's are a'plenty.

Er...no, it's okay. I'll sleep somewhere else. (NEXT SLIDE PLEASE!)

Ah, that's better...

I expanded the settlement so I can build on the other side of the train tracks along the water. I thought I'd give that Castle In the Sky manor house look a shot. Turns out it's a pretty cute little cottage style home. Not sure I'd do many more this way, but it doesn't look bad.

And bonus shot right into the john. (Heh. Forgot to install the front door. Oops.)

Mary, Mary quite contrary, how do your taters grow?
With blue mutfruit, and tater root, and corn plants all in a row.

Mother Goosemutant. Nursery rhymes for the atomic age.

Master bathroom. Honestly, the place only sleeps two at the moment because of the water wheel engine takes up so much room, so pretty much everything is "the master ______". The master kitchen! The master staircase! The master laundry room. The master front porch... You get the idea.

I always see to it that all my settlements have plenty of towels and toilet paper. The Minutemen provide.

Charming as fuck, no? It's almost like someone set all that there just to take a picture. Huh...

I need a vacation! Hey, I know a place...

Dear Nora...

The world was beautiful once.

I have to remind myself of this now and again when I catch a glimpse of sunlight through the trees that have begun to regrow as the settlers till and work the land to make it fertile again. Amazing how that's started to happen after 200 years of inertia and ruin. All the earth needed was a little TLC to give it that special spark...

Well. To be accurate, it needs a lot more than a little TLC. It's going to take a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and patience not necessarily in that order to get it there. Some settlers are willing...others, not so much. They'll learn to pull their weight or they'll find themselves homeless, which is NOT a situation you wanna be in in the Wasteland. Everyone does their share.

And some of us do a little more...

Danse thinks I should cut back, relax a little. At almost 250 years old, he reminds me I'm no spring chicken. Jerk. I think he's just jealous of having to share me with the rest of the Wasteland, heh. God forbid I should ever get bored, there's no shortage of tasks to do around here. Most of the time, I don't mind. A lot of people out here just need help--some need a nudge, others need a little more hand-holding--and I'm in a position to provide. It's kinda nice. Sometimes, though... Some days, I just wanna quit. Just sit down and never get back up again. I wonder, haven't I done enough already? What, exactly, is in this for me?

Then I think of you...laughing at me. Taking stuff apart was always my thing, not so much fixing stuff. I couldn't even put Shaun's crib together without going through a whole box of band-aids, now look at me. I am the Wasteland's crazy landlord. Can you believe it?

I helped hook up a hot water heater today here at the Oberland Station house, and when I told them the "bad news"--that the heater was old and it might only give them 10 or so minutes of hot water at a time before they have to wait for it to heat up again--one of the residents just broke down crying. I thought, "Oh, shit. Here comes someone else whining at me for something they want that I can't do anything about," but no. She cried because she's never had a hot shower IN HER LIFE. I couldn't believe it. This woman is probably 25 years old, and she's never lived in a place with running hot water... She hugged me so hard my ribs creaked, and praised me like I was Jesus giving them loaves and fishes...

Don't worry. It hasn't gone my head that much yet. But it's moments like that why I keep doing what I do. It's worth putting up with the complaints, the time away from my friends (if I can't drag 'em along with me), and my own aches and pains, the danger of traveling... It's also why I know I'll be doing this the rest of my life.

The Wasteland's got a long way to go before we can have visitors over, but we're getting there, one settlement, one house, one water heater at a time. And if you feel like giving me a little sign now and again just to make sure I'm on the right path, I'd appreciate it.

Yeah... Like that.

Thanks, hon. Miss you lots.

--N
Entropy -- it's not what it used to be.

Brambleberry
Jarl
Zodiac:
High Rock

Empire of Ash

Post by Brambleberry » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:02 pm

:hug: Teri :hug: simple and poignant, beautiful in every way!

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Empire of Ash

Post by Serethil » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Aw damn it. I just KNOW when I get to read/see a new installment, I'm gonna cry. So yeah.... That sunbeam shot got me right in the heart....

Great stuff girl! I don't mind the sniffles (but explaining them to husband can get iffy....) Loved the Oberland Out pun, and REALLY love that highboy in the bath!
Last edited by Serethil on Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loving fantasy since 1960 or so, FRPGs since 1975 (appx), and CRPGs since 1985....

Andra Hawksdaughter
Overlord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Andra Hawksdaughter » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:26 pm

I love that he still talks to her... :19: Wondering why he keeps on doing what he does, my Brae has that in common with Nathan. One does what one can. I love this, and love the shots. Maybe one of these days I'll give Oberland more attention. It's not an easy spot, but yours looks great!
Image "Life is short, eat dessert first."

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Teridactyl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:27 am

Serethil wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:14 pm
Aw damn it. I just KNOW when I get to read/see a new installment, I'm gonna cry. So yeah.... That sunbeam shot got me right in the heart....

Great stuff girl! I don't mind the sniffles (but explaining them to husband can get iffy....) Loved the Oberland Out pun, and REALLY love that highboy in the bath!
Those sunbeams get me every time. Makes me wanna fall over like a fat, lazy cat and soak it all up. I haven't left my house in like 5 days, either, so I'd actually like to do that in real life!

Your poor husband must think I'm the most tortured, pathetic person in the world! LOL This was just a little out-of-timeline drabble I dreamt up while I was putting together these pictures. I needed to go in-character for a bit and give my head a break from being me. (I had to replace my water heater a few years back, and I offered to build a shrine to my plumber. I think he was more than a little embarrassed.)

I've been working on the next update for a while. It's gonna be a doozy, though, because I don't want to break it up. I've done hours of in-game building, prepping, off-script writing, gazillions of screenshots, lore research, and even some (:6:) original (award winning, even!) artwork for it. The moment I think I am close to finishing it, I find something else I wanna add to it. It's gonna be a watershed, though, so I'll give you warning before I post it. :) It should be a mostly happy one, though. Mostly. :)

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Teridactyl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:34 am

Andra Hawksdaughter wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:26 pm
I love that he still talks to her... :19: Wondering why he keeps on doing what he does, my Brae has that in common with Nathan. One does what one can. I love this, and love the shots. Maybe one of these days I'll give Oberland more attention. It's not an easy spot, but yours looks great!
Yeah... Gosh, I have so many thoughts on that, I couldn't even begin to sum up all the reasons he still talks to Nora, or why he won't rest, other than it's probably borderline psychosis at this point. I'm not sure he'd know how to quit any of it, even if he wanted to. But hey...cheap therapy, right? :)

I'd totally love to write a crossover fic with Brae or someone's original non-canon Sole Survivor, maybe even a round-robin sort of thing. It'd be interesting to see how these two got along...or wouldn't. Could even do screenshots with a Showlooks Preset... Hmmm. Just throwing that idea out there. :D

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Empire of Ash

Post by Serethil » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:00 am

Heh. Teri, I don't go into that sort of detail, as husband doesn't have anything approximating knowledge of fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, games etc. The culture in which he grew up didn't allow knowledge of mythology or even penny dreadfuls. So much of literature he grew up not knowing - and though I have introduced him to some things since we married, he still doesn't "get" most of it. Especially fantasy - and games on a computer. He doesn't use computers, email, the internet....

So I just tell him I read something that caused me to cry, similar to when I read LotR, or Lackey's Valdemar books, or McCaffrey's Pern books. That suffices for him, even though I get rather bummed that there's so much of life he simply has never had any experience of. Can you imagine someone who doesn't know the Greek and Roman gods, or Peter Pan.... Sad. These idiot religions have SO much to answer for....

Now, on another whole subject.... You are extremely talented. Perhaps you should be looking into getting into producing story lines for games.

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Teridactyl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Wow, so much of my life has been shaped by stories, whether it be from books, games, television, music, or other people's... I had a discussion with a Mormon who'd never seen a rated R movie, and I thought THEY were missing out on a lot of great stories. But maybe it's a good thing he has you in his life to sort of absorb what little he's taken in. :)

It's funny you say that I should look into doing more creative work for a living. For a long time, I attempted to make money on my artistic abilities, and I don't know how many unfinished novels I have sitting on my hard drive. Every now and then I need to take an assignment to remind myself exactly why I DON'T want to do that. Frankly, the stuff I produce for other people isn't nearly as good, because I'm not having fun. The last two weeks with this extra graphic design stuff I've done for work is just the reminder I needed. It was stressing me out. I had to unhook from work yesterday and take a half day off, so I came here (now don't you feel special :D). While I am largely happy with the quality of work I did, it was costing me more daylight hours from my actual job than it should, so I had to cut into my personal ME-creation time. Maybe it'd be different with a whole creative team to bounce ideas off of, but as soon as you introduce a deadline on it, that's the moment I go into low-level panic mode and start losing sleep.

So, I appreciate the compliment, but no thanks. I'd rather keep to my own little world. I love doing it and it makes me happy. That I can share it and others enjoy it too makes me even happier. :heart: :hug: :heart:

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Empire of Ash

Post by Serethil » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:03 pm

Funny Teri - husband grew up mormon.... which is why he knows nothing about what has shaped our imaginations! His children (three of the four anyway) buy into the whole mega-religion thing, including "sterilization" of anything more than PG rated as to movies....

Heh. Believe me, I'm not at all into that kind of crap. I put up with them, because he isn't devout (and hasn't been for appx 60 of his 85 years). It's not that he's not intelligent - it's that he was never shown how to use his imagination, or even what it is. It's odd. He can build a house (which does take some imagination of course) but he can't reframe that to approach mythology from that angle.

Ah well. It does take all kinds - and mormons are no exception.

Oh, as for deadlines - I work best to them. I don't have them any more of course, being retired for so long. So lots of stuff never gets done!
Last edited by Serethil on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.