Empire of Ash

Andra Hawksdaughter
Overlord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Andra Hawksdaughter » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:40 pm

Awww, he looks so relieved, and pretty gobsmacked! Nora seems satisfied at that too, LOL. So good Teri, and Loved the posing, which I will never have the patience for, and perfect lighting all along!
Image "Life is short, eat dessert first."

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Teridactyl » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:07 am

Serethil wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:58 pm
*giggling* It's PERFECT.

You're just so talented.... do you think that after you've been doing this for a few years it will BE faster?
It has gotten a lot faster, actually. I think the big difference with this is that it's an entirely original story, and I didn't have a real clear plan what I wanted when I started, including the dialogue, itself. It was a lot of me going, "Oh, wouldn't it be cool if I had them hug? And wouldn't it be cool if I built them a little park? And wouldn't it be cool if I had some flashback scenes from Fallout 3? And, and, and..."

Hopefully, I'll have a clearer outline for the next one. :D
Entropy -- it's not what it used to be.

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Teridactyl » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:11 am

-----
Notes

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Empire of Ash

Post by Serethil » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:08 am

AAACCCHHHH! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

*sigh*.... Teri.... you have an absolute innate ability to grab heartstrings. Good for you. Even if it means (on my 72nd birthday/44th anniversary) that I'm sitting here in tears AGAIN!!

S'okay. I love it. I love you. Keep on keepin' on. And my heart is with you this coming time when family things are going to wreck you. If you need a shoulder, I'm equipped.
Loving fantasy since 1960 or so, FRPGs since 1975 (appx), and CRPGs since 1985....

"Matrilineal succession is the only thing that makes sense as far as I'm concerned, since you always know who the mother is, and the father could be anyone."

Aireal
Global Moderator
Zodiac:
Skyrim

Empire of Ash

Post by Aireal » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:31 am

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: wwooooo Love it!! pitter patter...
Life is about the Journey, not the destination
Aireal's Table of Contents

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Teridactyl » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:24 pm

Well, hopefully these are more HAPPY tears, Sere. :hug:

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Empire of Ash

Post by Serethil » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:38 pm

Teridactyl wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:24 pm
Well, hopefully these are more HAPPY tears, Sere. :hug:
Actually, they were prompted by how many years I've been married to the love of my life (even if he does annoy me no end at times!), and the fact that it was our anniversary, and a memory of a similar "first kiss".... I'm a sap, after all!
Loving fantasy since 1960 or so, FRPGs since 1975 (appx), and CRPGs since 1985....

"Matrilineal succession is the only thing that makes sense as far as I'm concerned, since you always know who the mother is, and the father could be anyone."

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Teridactyl » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:10 am

-----
Notes:

"Nathan. Are you being serious?"

Well, of course he's serious. He jokes, he kids, and sometimes he goes a little too far. It's a defense that frequently works for him, but now is not the time. He simply gives Nora a look of adoration and tenderness that conveys everything he can't say at the moment. His head is screaming at him: This is selfish! This is stupid! LET HER GO. That's why you came here, you idiot! She'll be happier without having to worry about you, and you'll (eventually) be happier knowing she'll (eventually) be happy without you, too.

But his brain isn't the one in charge now. He's been too hopped up on caffeine, and adrenaline, and anxiety for too long today to even pretend to be thinking straight anymore. So he lets his heart take over. Because he knows he can't let go.

So he doesn't.

Still holding her hand, he idly slides off the park bench and assumes the position on one knee. He didn't prepare for this at all, he's not even sure what to say. But when he looks back in her eyes, full of bewilderment, anticipation, and warmth, he knows what he needs to do. Swallowing down the lump in his throat, he finds his voice long enough to say...

"Nora..."

----------------------

I had no way to convey that all between panel 4 and 5, so you'll just have to imagine it.

I leave tomorrow for Florida (at 6 AM, OMG!!!), and I have no idea what's happening from there (I foresee a lot of wine, tbh), so I'm putting these up back-to-back. Also, they kinda NEED to go together... I'd hate to leave you hanging. :2:

Hug and kiss your loved ones, tell them how much you love and appreciate them. I'll see you in a few more days. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Empire of Ash

Post by Serethil » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:16 am

Superb. Even with *sniffles*. Now, I'm not even really a romantic.... but wow.

I actually did get the stuff you put in Notes.... 'cause I could just SEE what was happening. This goes on all the time when I read....

Um. Weather's going to be shit in the Panhandle and N Florida tonight and early tomorrow. I know this because daughter and SIL had to go to near Jax to see his parents this weekend.... Be safe Teri!

Andra Hawksdaughter
Overlord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Andra Hawksdaughter » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:22 pm

:bravo: :heart: :heart: :heart:
SO good Teri! As I sit here I sniffle and laugh and laugh at how Nathan's intentions change again. :D So much for his restraint, but I love it!!

Take care in Fla, and know hearts are with you! *HUG*

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Teridactyl » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:20 am

-----
Notes:

Silly me. I brought both my laptops (one for work, one for me), but forgot the power cable for the FUN one (mine!). But Paul brought it when he showed up the next day, so I'm good, now. It would've been a very, very long month without it. :10:

Florida is freaking muggy, y'all. Frankly, I prefer freezing. Or rather, just being able to put on socks and a sweater to warm up, than turning on my A/C in December to cool down, but then that's why I moved to Colorado. Other than that, we're all doing okay. :1:

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Empire of Ash

Post by Serethil » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:30 am

Oh, Teri, that gave me SUCH a good laugh! So much humor in what you do, even when it's not exactly a "funny" moment. Damn, lady - you are GOOD!

Yeah. Was in Florida ONCE. I really hate heat, humidity, bugs, snakes, gators.... Epcot was nice, the Bahamas were great. I was VERY GLAD to get home to high and cold Utah! My mother always said I was a winter child having been born in December. Why she expected me to love beaches and deserts I could never understand. She was always disappointed that I wasn't "just like her". NopenopeNOPE. No way in hell....

Hang in there, love and hugs to you and your family, and thank the goddesses for a spouse who packs the power cable!

Andra Hawksdaughter
Overlord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Andra Hawksdaughter » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:21 pm

*HUG*

Of course she'll pine for him, just maybe not admit it too much, lol. But he'll pine for her too. They are (I hope!) going to be a helluva trippy, funny, duo. :D

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Teridactyl » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:29 pm

The end. :heart:

-----
Notes:

Now that this is over, here comes the annoying part where I beg for money. No, I don't have a Patreon, nor am I asking for PayPal donations... In fact, it's not for me at all.

My dad wasn't a soldier, but he was a warrior. He dedicated his entire life to standing up for the underprivileged, underrepresented, and oppressed, sticking his neck out on their behalf, and using every tool in his arsenal to fight for what was right. He used his intellect and his ability to inspire others to pitch in where they could. He took good care of his family, but he kind of saw everyone he made friends with as his family, and these are the values he instilled in me.

We also shared storytelling in common. I like to think I even taught him a thing or two there. Later in his life, he reinvented himself by writing and self-publishing four mystery novels based on our experiences and people he befriended in Guatemala during the 70s. It kept his mind sharp, and distracted him when his body wouldn't let him do much else.

I really loved making this comic--it was therapeutic, it was fun, and I learned a lot. If you liked it and it touched you too, that makes me even happier. It's not the length of a proper graphic novel, but I poured myself into these 22 pages, nonetheless. A 22-page comic on the stands will cost you anywhere from $3 - $6. A graphic novel will run you about $15 - $22 in the bookstore. If you liked this book, enough that you might want to throw a couple (or $5 or $20) bucks toward it, then consider making a donation to one of the following non-profit organizations or charities.

Team Trees - Help plant 20 million trees by Jan 1. $1 = 1 tree!
American Civil Liberties Union
Doctors Without Borders
Human Rights Watch
Environmental Defense Fund
National Veterans Foundation

Something a little personal to me is the museum I serve on the board of directors for: Morrison Natural History Museum

Or the community foundation my dad ran, which directly benefits the people of Sarasota County, Florida: Community Foundation of Sarasota County

Or consider donating to a local charity near you that may need your help by using the https://www.charitynavigator.org/.

You don't have to do it in my name. You don't even have to tell me. And if you can't, you can't...we've all been there, and you gotta take care of you and yours. This isn't a guilt trip, by any means. But my dad always taught me if people are in need, you don't build a bigger wall, you build a bigger table.

But I do hope you all have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Happy New Year. Thank you, my friends. :heart: :heart:

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Empire of Ash

Post by Serethil » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:14 pm

*sniffles n tears* And you know, I love you more than ever, because your heart's in the right place! :heart:

Andra Hawksdaughter
Overlord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Andra Hawksdaughter » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:40 am

So lovely Teri, but so sad too. Though I don't use them, I am glad there are mods out there that keep them both as survivors. *hug* You're a wonderful person, with a wonderful talent, and I know your Dad was, and is, proud!

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Teridactyl » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:13 pm

I'm back from Florida, finally. Flying out of Tampa International the other day, I saw a young couple tucked off to the side, trying to have a private little moment, clinging to each other, both of them with tears in their eyes. She hugged him tighter and sobbed, "I can't do this!" and he responded by trying to assure her in a firm voice. I didn't catch exactly what he said, but his tone seemed a little edgier than necessary. I chanced a look just to make sure there wasn't some kind of trouble happening, and my eyes immediately fell on the characteristic backward American flag patch on his arm... I remember seeing in the news earlier that day a long line of soldiers crossing a tarmac and boarding a plane to be shipped off to Iran, and my heart fell to the floor.

Yup. 2020 is off to a great start. You know, I play Fallout with the pretense of not having to actually GO there. I hope everything turns out okay for them. And for all of us.

I am glad to be home. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Aireal
Global Moderator
Zodiac:
Skyrim

Empire of Ash

Post by Aireal » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:22 pm

<sniffles> LOVE IT!!
Life is about the Journey, not the destination
Aireal's Table of Contents

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Empire of Ash

Post by Serethil » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:39 pm

Aww, Teri. I hope they're okay.... and us too. I'm becoming less hopeful all the time....

Glad you're home safe. Travel for reasons of that nature is just plain NOT fun. :heart:
Last edited by Serethil on Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andra Hawksdaughter
Overlord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Empire of Ash

Post by Andra Hawksdaughter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:02 am

It's hard to see loved ones off, even if it's not to an active combat zone. Been there...

So good to know you're home Teri! *hugs*