Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

The Wayshrine: ESO ramblings, musings & pleas for help

Post by Serethil » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:47 pm

Here's a heads up guys, you really need to read this:

Performance Improvements Timeline 2019/2020

The main kicker is that once this stuff is done, everyone is going to have to re-download the game. It might be a bit smaller. I hope.
Loving fantasy since 1960 or so, FRPGs since 1975 (appx), and CRPGs since 1985....

When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back,
Three from the Circle, three from the track;
Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone:
Five will return, and one go on alone.

Aireal
Global Moderator
Zodiac:
Skyrim

Post by Aireal » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:23 am

Well an improvement is good... <sigh> downloading..
Life is about the Journey, not the destination
Aireal's Table of Contents

glargg
Jarl
Zodiac:
Elsweyr

Post by glargg » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:04 am

The only Constant is Change, and we get less of it back from our dollar than we used to...
Levitation. Passwall. Dispel. Recall. Slowfalling. Feather. Bound Armor.

Acadian
Noble
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Acadian » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:53 pm

Downloading whole game again sounds a bit daunting. Though my speed is not bad, I am always concerned when so many electrons are flying around that some don't go astray. I wonder if, after redownloading:
- Addons will be affected / have to be reinstalled.
- Game settings (camera, video, audio, controls, gameplay) will all have to be set again.
Last edited by Acadian on Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Post by Serethil » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:19 pm

I would think you could move your Addons and SavedVariables folders to desktop, download/reinstall the game, then move the folders from desktop back into the C:\Users\your user name\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live folder. At least, that's what I'm planning to do, and hoping it will work. Most games I've played have been able to manage that way. Also the AddonSettings.txt and UserSettings.txt files the same way, to Desktop then back.
Last edited by Serethil on Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loving fantasy since 1960 or so, FRPGs since 1975 (appx), and CRPGs since 1985....

glargg
Jarl
Zodiac:
Elsweyr

Post by glargg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:46 am

Serethil wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:19 pm
I would think you could move your Addons and SavedVariables folders to desktop, download/reinstall the game, then move the folders from desktop back into the C:\Users\your user name\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live folder. At least, that's what I'm planning to do, and hoping it will work. Most games I've played have been able to manage that way. Also the AddonSettings.txt and UserSettings.txt files the same way, to Desktop then back.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think your game is installed there anyway. In my case, my game isn't even installed on C:\. It's in a subfolder on drive J:\.

Like with other software, the user data is located in the ...\Users\... area so that a computer can accommodate multiple users with different settings.

So a reinstall should only affect the actual game, along with any new config files that might be written to user areas. It shouldn't overwrite anything in the Addons folder. On the other hand, Zenimax/Bethesda continue to surprise me, so who knows what stunts they'll pull. :roll:

Aireal
Global Moderator
Zodiac:
Skyrim

Post by Aireal » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:51 am

Like all my DA and Skyrim Mod's... I put a copy of the addons in a zip folder on my desktop and then to a USB.. cause ya never know!

ghastley
Knight
United States of America

Post by ghastley » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:11 pm

I doubt that it will be a big deal, if they think it through and do it right. Most of the download size comes from visual assets - meshes and textures - that won't be changed. The code for the client is much smaller, and even if they want to re-arrange the asset folders in the process, that can be done locally, instead of a wipe and replace.

Settings would probably need re-doing if there's a significant change to the way the client works. But again, there's migration, versus wipe-and-replace.
Last edited by ghastley on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Post by Serethil » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:29 pm

glargg wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:46 am
Serethil wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:19 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think your game is installed there anyway. In my case, my game isn't even installed on C:\. It's in a subfolder on drive J:\.

Like with other software, the user data is located in the ...\Users\... area so that a computer can accommodate multiple users with different settings.

So a reinstall should only affect the actual game, along with any new config files that might be written to user areas. It shouldn't overwrite anything in the Addons folder. On the other hand, Zenimax/Bethesda continue to surprise me, so who knows what stunts they'll pull. :roll:
Well, I never trust game companies, so I ALWAYS copy settings and addons to desktop as a failsafe. I've been occasionally pleasantly surprised that it was an unnecessary step; then again I've also been completely happy that I did that step as things got bollixed....

And no, the game's not there, but the addons are installed there, along with saved variable settings for the game and addons, and user game settings.
Last edited by Serethil on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glargg
Jarl
Zodiac:
Elsweyr

Post by glargg » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:58 am

Patching...

Lapuaboy
Lord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Lapuaboy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:31 am

Fairly good news tonight! Lag/performance in Cyro was much better after today's patch...supposedly the skills reworked lessened calcs but who knows. Did have two zone crashes where everyone in Cyro disconnected so there is that ;) We'll have to see how it all shakes out, like always :)

Aireal
Global Moderator
Zodiac:
Skyrim

Post by Aireal » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:58 pm

That's good to know. I only had time to do the dailies in Wrothgar on both servers. While the UE server was jammed with people the NA server wasn't at that time and neither were slow.

The only difference I saw was in Ay'Anna my pet Sorc, it took longer to kill the NPC's than it had on a previous run through the same dungeon. I'm repeating the dailies now. my Magplar on the UE was same-same.

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Post by Serethil » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:12 pm

Got downloaded and patched in about 20 minutes total, all in my free bonus zone time. Didn't play a whole lot as we had to go to town for doctor's appts again.

The sorc pets don't have as much damage now, and not as much healing either. *sigh*

Aireal
Global Moderator
Zodiac:
Skyrim

Post by Aireal » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about adding Undaunted to Ay'Anna for that reason, I had already started with Baran for something else. But the Blood Alter would be a real help with the healing and damage part... it's not equal and would have been better in addition to... but It's worth me looking into and gives some other quests and another reason I can run with the Guildies.

glargg
Jarl
Zodiac:
Elsweyr

Post by glargg » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:19 pm

I was on the EU for a couple of hours late last night (early AM, actually.) Didn't notice any great difference with my Templar, Lolly Gaggin.

Finished up the Clockwork City main quest line with Lolly. I think the final conversation with Sotha Sil is some of the best-written stuff in ESO.

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Post by Serethil » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:10 pm

Well, I ran one of my sorcs for a while today. Gonna have to double bar both pets again....

Aireal
Global Moderator
Zodiac:
Skyrim

Post by Aireal » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:52 pm

I took one pet off the back bar, added a ward and will change that out for the Blood Alter when Ay'Anna can get it. It would probably be of more use in a group, but.. for now an until I can get the right perks, it will do.

Baran had a much much easier time doing the same dungeon today than a few days ago. Not sure if DKs were changed or just that since I knew what the dungeon was, it was easier to run.

On an odd note, for the 1st 10 min that I had Dae run in Wrothgar, getting mat's, she only got singular ones, not the double drops. which is ok anyhow.. as she now has enough ingots to make Baran a nice set when he is past 50 AND do writs

Acadian
Noble
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Acadian » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:49 am

Buffy exists as four kinds of mages and three kinds of archers (7 total variants). Made a good first pass on tweaking all four mages and one archer so far. Plenty of tweaking required but results not too bad. The only one we really had to totally redo was the magsorc. First pass on the magplar was to change her from healer to dps and she is fine. On second pass, I'll try her back as a healer and see if it will work based on the big resto staff changes. I mean I know it will work, but if we don't find it fun, she'll go dps for sure.

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

Post by Serethil » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:58 pm

After spending the time on one magsorc, I was just too whacked to mess with any of the rest. It's a big deal - I have several of everything but necro, and most of them are going to need reworks I guess. This will be a long process - and might not even get finished before the NEXT round of nerfs.

Aireal
Global Moderator
Zodiac:
Skyrim

Post by Aireal » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Baran is now lvl 47... Still need to tweak his skills a bit, but i didn't put all the points that he has back into them after I used the errrr 'redo points' scroll ( long RRRRR word ) I did put points back into one area that wasn't on the build and that's the '"dragon leap" ultimate... because the magma armor is just not enough to kill groups.

I really don't like "grinding".. but I have been, sort of with him. Doing an event daily, then a mage or Fighters guild quest/ daily, then an Undaunted Daily - using an experience scroll at that point and turning all three in at once. That way the experience scroll does not run out till he is done with all three. Some of them take a long time, like the Fighters guild where you do 3 Dolmens.. the waiting alone could run it down!

Yes I am trying to get him to 50, but also set up to do the Undaunted Pledges with the Guild... Tank may not be the way to go, but I DO have a 2nd redo points scroll.... I'll change him back to DPS if I decide not to use him for Guild Stuff!

Acadian... I have Akeemi for that.. I mean she is my Was in Skyrim ( wrote a nice long story ) She will be in Oblivion ( when I get that set up the way I want ) and I have her in ESO... Only one iteration, but it works for me!