The Mojave Express (New Vegas general discussion)

Raging Ghost
Knight
Canada

Post by Raging Ghost » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:00 am

Why didn't we have a New Vegas general discussion thread?

So, yeah, if you have anything New Vegas-related to discuss, go nuts.

Andra Hawksdaughter
Overlord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Andra Hawksdaughter » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Sorry, don't have that one and never played it. Wouldn't mind hearing about others' stuff though. :)
Image "Life is short, eat dessert first."

Raging Ghost
Knight
Canada

Post by Raging Ghost » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:42 pm

As it turns out, Doc Mitchell's tests determine your recommended tag skills. Here's all the info.

Volstag
Lord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Volstag » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:50 am

Raging Ghost wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:42 pm
As it turns out, Doc Mitchell's tests determine your recommended tag skills. Here's all the info.
Yes, but you have the option to change them when he gets done with you. Have you looked into what each skill covers? Some are obvious, but others affect things you might not expect. Or you might want to just roll an average build, and see how it goes! You can fix a lot of shortcomings temporarily with chems, but there is a price to pay for doing that!

So are you actually starting to play now?

As for not having a general thread? This has been a pretty low traffic area for a while, I guess we just posted the specific things we were interested in.
Last edited by Volstag on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raging Ghost
Knight
Canada

Post by Raging Ghost » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:54 am

Volstag wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:50 am
Raging Ghost wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:42 pm
Yes, but you have the option to change them when he gets done with you. Have you looked into what each skill covers? Some are obvious, but others affect things you might not expect. Or you might want to just roll an average build, and see how it goes! You can fix a lot of shortcomings temporarily with chems, but there is a price to pay for doing that!

So are you actually starting to play now?

As for not having a general thread? This has been a pretty low traffic area for a while, I guess we just posted the specific things we were interested in.
Well, yeah, I did, to an extent. It's just that I think I goofed up somewhere in Goodsprings. I mean, I planned to get that perk where you're more likely to deal crits while wearing light armor, but I goofed up and put all my points in Speech because I thought I would need it to help persuading the town to fight the Powder Gangers (well, one of them at least, but really, I think I might have to start over.). I'm working on getting the hang of it, though. I mean, had I known that I could've just used the magazines for that instead...
Last edited by Raging Ghost on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Volstag
Lord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Volstag » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:44 am

If you are still in the first few levels, it probably won't matter much. Speech is something you will probably want to max out eventually, you're just a little lop-sided at the moment. A hint for you
anything you can gain via skills, you can get temporarily, via either a book, chem, or clothing item.

Raging Ghost
Knight
Canada

Post by Raging Ghost » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:32 am

Volstag wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:44 am
If you are still in the first few levels, it probably won't matter much. Speech is something you will probably want to max out eventually, you're just a little lop-sided at the moment. A hint for you
anything you can gain via skills, you can get temporarily, via either a book, chem, or clothing item.
Thanks for the tip.

Anyway, I managed to progress to Primm and made the local protectron the new sheriff. Not sure if I did right. The next stop is Nipton, though I also have to consider where to fit the DLCs and in what order I should do them. I know I'll have to save Lonesome Road for last, but, what about the other three?

Volstag
Lord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Volstag » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:54 pm

I view this game like Skyrim, there IS no wrong or right way. A different choice would have led to a different outcome, but it would be better in some ways, worse in others. My whole game has been a process of making choices, then cleaning up the mess they produce. Pretty much EVERY choice has a downside, that might not be obvious at the time.

Have fun in Nipton, you have a pretty significant decision to make there! :2: Oh, and watch your step when you start looting the place!

I still haven't done any of the DLC's at level 37. I cheated a bit, and entered the Lonesome Road area, which netted me some extra gear early on. However I encountered some enemies I couldn't handle and backed out before I accomplished much. I think level 10 is recommended for most of them.

Did you pick up Ed-e for a companion in Primm? He's handy and fun to have around, if a bit over powered early on. If you do get him, or any other followers, I have seen a remote control mod that lets you give them commands from farther away. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks REALLY handy! All companions have a really annoying tendency to run off an kill everything once combat is initiated. This mod will let you keep them far enough away, or tell them to back off if you want to do the fighting yourself. Gopher uses it in his lets play video series, and it opens up different strategies.

Companion control

While I'm on gameplay, I found that there is a bewildering array of perk choices once you start progressing. I've found the Jury Rigging perk to be extremely useful, and profitable.

Volstag
Lord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Volstag » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:27 pm

I don't know what all mods you are running, but after a few hours I noticed that the desert seemed like a pretty empty place. I was going from one location for a quest to another, but there wasn't much to do or explore in between. If you start to feel like it's getting boring, A World of Pain adds a lot of new locations, and expands others. Some of the fights can be tougher than vanilla, but mostly it just adds more of what is already there.

Volstag
Lord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Volstag » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:00 am

Well this is annoying!

One of my Grail items to find has always been a Ranger Sequoia, which is basically an in game version of a BFR 45/70 revolver, and pretty much the most powerful pistol in the vanilla game! BFR Unfortunately, about the only way to get one in the vanilla game, is to take it off a dead NCR Ranger. :4: Since I'm playing a good guy character, that's a non starter for me.

Recently, in watching one of Gophers videos, I discovered that in one of the New Vegas Bounties quests, it was possible to get one as loot off a dead regulator after a shoot out! :cheers: I found the wanted poster to start that quest, along with about half a dozen others I'd missed, and off I went! Needless to say, I was disappointed when after the shoot out, there was no Sequoia!!! :evil:

I reloaded before the final fight, and tried a different line of dialog, and sure enough, there was my Sequoia! :wine:

Unfortunately, I soon discovered that it wasn't any more powerful that a mod/quest related 44 magnum revolver I already had! :facepalm: :frustrated:

Brambleberry
Jarl
Zodiac:
High Rock

Post by Brambleberry » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:38 am

But it's so purty! :2:

Volstag
Lord
Zodiac:
United States of America

Post by Volstag » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:15 am

That it is!

It also has a high crit rating, and has been kicking butt!