The gun thread

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

The gun thread

Post by Serethil » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Yep, that's one that's always installed too, 'cause it does depend on the girl.
Loving fantasy since 1960 or so, FRPGs since 1975 (appx), and CRPGs since 1985....

When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back,
Three from the Circle, three from the track;
Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone:
Five will return, and one go on alone.

mirocu
Jarl
Japan

The gun thread

Post by mirocu » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:44 pm

I had several katana options which were a lot cheaper, but the reason I got this is because it's as close as you can get to a real katana used by the samurais. In design and quality it's virtually identical. If I'm gonna play, I'm gonna play properly 8-)
All That Is Physical Is Not The End
--------------

Miracle
InSomnia
Buddy

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

The gun thread

Post by Serethil » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:08 pm

Well, lots of times, cheap is just a bad idea. I've seen some katanas in a shop in Vegas for under a hundred US - and I could visualize taking a swing and having the blade detach from the tsuka!
Loving fantasy since 1960 or so, FRPGs since 1975 (appx), and CRPGs since 1985....

TheShadowScout
Zodiac:
Morrowind

The gun thread

Post by TheShadowScout » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:43 pm

Indeed, there are a lot of cheap "swords" out there. The worst are easily identified as "purely decorative", with "blades" not even made from steel, berely "metal" (cast zinc allow, mostly); but there are also those who aim to fool the unwars, with a sharp steel blade to pretend they are actual swords, but when you check them out more closely you find a welded on rat-tail construction holding the blade to the pommel that is likely to break if you actually use the thing in swordish ways, and mild steel that will chip and/or bend easily...

There are more expensive ones though, that are both still affordable really nifty! Not talking about dropping a thousand Euro (or dollars) here, but, for two or three hundred you can find halfway decent blades.

Of course, upwards the sky's the limit. But... most of those who like medieval weaponry will sadly not be in a position to spend that much on their hobbies. I know I cannot, but I am happy that I still manage to get a nice new piece now and then...
"True understanding can be found only in the Shadow between Light and Dark..."

Aireal
Global Moderator
Zodiac:
Skyrim

The gun thread

Post by Aireal » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:43 pm

When I was still diving, we found an old Pirate ship off the coast, it was well documented, but about 2 miles down current was a ballast pile, we looked around that cause fishies... and found some stuff.. I found a broken cutlass.. the tip was broken off and it was slightly pitted from saltwater, but it was still a great wall hanging! errr till someone offered me $500 for it... I was 16 and needed a new saddle!
Life is about the Journey, not the destination
Aireal's Table of Contents

mirocu
Jarl
Japan

The gun thread

Post by mirocu » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:30 pm

Ouch! That thing would have been awesome to have now, I imagine! :(
--------------

Miracle
InSomnia
Buddy

TheShadowScout
Zodiac:
Morrowind

The gun thread

Post by TheShadowScout » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:48 am

Well, if we want to talk old swords... I cherish the fencing swords I got from my ancestors, two 1900-ish foils from my grandpa, and a 1950-ish saber from my dad. All sports versions of course (so, blunted), and way too precious to me to ever actually use them, but they are really nice.

The rest of my little medieval weapons collection are replicas, and I especially like the ones which are decently made, and -could- be used in swordish ways if the need ever arose. So... in case of zombie apocalypse, I guess I can equip my whole family with several choices of cutless, a viking axe, a medieval mace, a prussian saber, a medieval broadsword and about a dozend daggers of several kinds... (Makes me wonder... do I like daggers because I play assassins in fantasy MMORPGs more often then not, or do I play assassins because I like daggers... or both...) :mrgreen:

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

The gun thread

Post by Serethil » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:34 am

A viking axe.... holy crap Shadow. I WANT it. Now, my "primary" ancestry is Scots on my father's side, and of course there might be some "viking" there....

I also want a longboat. Serious. Nope, I have no sea to sail it on.... but I want it.

TheShadowScout
Zodiac:
Morrowind

The gun thread

Post by TheShadowScout » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Well, I always liked to branch out a little, not only go for the swords, but also other stuff. Maces, axes, daggers... sooo many daggers... though I guess some of them might qualify as short swords... a speartip I really need to mount on a pole someday... even have a bow built after medieval patterns, though I prefer my old sporting bow if I want to have fun with arrows. The replica is old and made of wood (duh) and so I am not sure I could trust it in operation... but its still neat to look at.

Oh, and two staves. Since IRL I am definitely more the brainy magica character type rather then the athletic stamina character type (that would be my brother! He definitely would make a good rogue!) So... robes and staff I guess?

As for Axes... well, a mediaval replica viking bearded axe is not too hard to find, and cheap too (since axes need far less high quality of fabrication then swords). And its easy to costomize with adding stuff... (still looking to do more of that for mine, I have some thread wrappings to secure the axehead, but would love to add some nice leather bands along the shaft...)

As for longboats... well, those do seem a bit lost without water to float on. Although the vikings did occasionally cross land to go brtween waterways, dragging their boats on log rollers... viking boats generally were on the small and light side compared to other ancient rowing ships. Not in the least because vikings sailed into narrow fjords I suppose...
Anyhow, a lifesized one might be a bit of a project, considering they were what, 12-30 meters or so?
Still, there is a lot one could do I suppose... even build a boat on grass and pretend its weaves if someone really put their kind to it. ;)

mirocu
Jarl
Japan

The gun thread

Post by mirocu » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:26 pm

You should get into blackpowder guns!
--------------

Miracle
InSomnia
Buddy

Volstag
Lord
Zodiac:
United States of America

The gun thread

Post by Volstag » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:08 am

For no logical reason, I've wanted one of these for a while!
Last edited by Volstag on Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

The gun thread

Post by Serethil » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:53 am

Well.... I can see why. NICE axe. Wouldn't mind one meself!

Aireal
Global Moderator
Zodiac:
Skyrim

The gun thread

Post by Aireal » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:16 pm

Not that I was snopping.. I was looking for a spatula.. <sigh> none... but this is what I found!

and the pantry...and the linen closet and I would not want to hazard a guess as to the Gun safe.. which is 5ft tall, x 3ft wide..locked of course, but gun ( loaded ) beside the couch.. and a rifle between the Fridge and laundry shelf..

Edit: and for anyone that hasn't been following the drama that is my life <snicker> This is a cabin on a ranch/farm that is rented out to hunters, but it is also where the owners sons stay 'out of season' and any hands stay in the other places, when needed.
Last edited by Aireal on Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mirocu
Jarl
Japan

The gun thread

Post by mirocu » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Don't we all just have random cartridges laying around? :lol:
--------------

Miracle
InSomnia
Buddy

Aireal
Global Moderator
Zodiac:
Skyrim

The gun thread

Post by Aireal » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Yeah...No, harder to load if your grabbing random crap!
Last edited by Aireal on Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.