DOS games

mirocu
Jarl
Japan

DOS games

Post by mirocu » Sun May 26, 2019 9:34 am

DOS games are great so here's a topic about it!

I admit; I made this topic mainly to get some help getting them to work on more modern computers like Windows XP and 7. I'm a bit tech savvy in general but not so much with DOSBox. The only reason I've played Arena is that the game came with the DOSBox already configured so I didn't need to do anything manually. Just plug and play.

Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated! I don't know if there's a generic configuration that works with most DOS games or there's a site that has a load of games with pre-configured DOSBoxes (like Arena and Daggerfall) but it would be awesome if that was the case. My own searches have come up short. GoG is not an option for me as I don't have PayPal or anything. I'm also cheap and want it free :18:

To end this OP I'll list my favourite DOS games from the good ole days. Feel free to add your own!

CyClones
Duke Nukem 3D
Raptor: Call of the Shadows
Mortal Kombat 3
Wolfenstein 3D
All That Is Physical Is Not The End
--------------

Miracle
InSomnia
Buddy

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

DOS games

Post by Serethil » Wed May 29, 2019 1:26 am

I never played any of those when I had machines that would have logically run them (not my sort of games at all). As for DOSbox, I've never really had any luck getting it to work. I even contacted one of the authors directly (good thing I know a little French....) and asked him to walk me through installing and using. Still didn't want to work (that was on win 7). And then glargg gave me some tips too, but now I'm on win 10 and it's even less cooperative....
Loving fantasy since 1960 or so, FRPGs since 1975 (appx), and CRPGs since 1985....

When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back,
Three from the Circle, three from the track;
Wood, bronze, iron; water, fire, stone:
Five will return, and one go on alone.

glargg
Jarl
Zodiac:
Elsweyr

DOS games

Post by glargg » Wed May 29, 2019 3:21 am

This is one of those things that bug me to no end. Microsoft Windows is an operating system, designed to run software written for PCs. If software was written to run in a Microsoft environment, Microsoft should be providing an environment in which it will run, no matter how old it is. Anything less is an abdication of their responsibility in offering the operating system in the first place.

And Microsoft is not alone in this. Apple has done the same thing with their support for older software. In a way, they're breaking a promise to the user, and to the software developers.

And it doesn't have to be that way. Unix/Linux is completely backward-compatible, except where older software depended upon no-longer-secure operating system processes. Colossal Cave Adventure, written in the 70s, runs fine on Linux (the 1977 Unix port from the original Fortran), and is actually included in most Linux distributions.
Today is the last day before Tomorrow happens. Procrastinators take note.

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

DOS games

Post by Serethil » Wed May 29, 2019 3:28 am

glargg wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:21 am
This is one of those things that bug me to no end. Microsoft Windows is an operating system, designed to run software written for PCs. If software was written to run in a Microsoft environment, Microsoft should be providing an environment in which it will run, no matter how old it is. Anything less is an abdication of their responsibility in offering the operating system in the first place.

And Microsoft is not alone in this. Apple has done the same thing with their support for older software. In a way, they're breaking a promise to the user, and to the software developers.

And it doesn't have to be that way. Unix/Linux is completely backward-compatible, except where older software depended upon no-longer-secure operating system processes. Colossal Cave Adventure, written in the 70s, runs fine on Linux (the 1977 Unix port from the original Fortran), and is actually included in most Linux distributions.
All true. I really want to move to linux - but there's so many issues....

See, when I first upgraded to a windows machine.... it worked exactly as I had imagined a computer would work (even though it was windows 3.0 - buggier than ANY anthill I kid you not!) So I was a very happy camper.... and I have been for the most part ever since (decades....)

Unfortunately, windows/MS has - gone to "all online" sort of stuff, and I'm SO not into that. So.... what to do....

Well, not doing apple/mac, way too expensive/proprietary. And linux.... I just can't wrap my mind around it. *sigh* I want windows NOT operated by microsoft....

Yeah right. Like that's ever going to happen.
Last edited by Serethil on Wed May 29, 2019 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loving fantasy since 1960 or so, FRPGs since 1975 (appx), and CRPGs since 1985....

glargg
Jarl
Zodiac:
Elsweyr

DOS games

Post by glargg » Wed May 29, 2019 3:40 am

Well, you can d/l Linux to a bootable thumb drive and try it out. There are a bunch of different distros, with all kinds of different user interfaces, and most are based on Debian or SuSE, so they're all widely compatible with most Linux software.

I run Ubuntu, but a lot of people like Mint. Then there's Pop_OS, from System76. They're a Linux hardware distributor, but a lot of people are running Pop_OS on non-System76 machines, and rate it highly.

The good thing about booting from a USB drive is that it doesn't make any changes to your system. Good way to "try before you, uh, buy." :)

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

DOS games

Post by Serethil » Wed May 29, 2019 3:54 am

And now that I seem to have a much better 'net system, I might just do that. Someone else I know who runs linux and has for decades recommended Mint as something that would be easy for a windows user to pick up.

Volstag
Lord
Zodiac:
United States of America

DOS games

Post by Volstag » Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 pm

glargg wrote:

It seems to me that Microsoft is hell bent to get all old hardware and software removed from use. I honestly think they go out of their way to make sure you have to upgrade more often that you like, if you want everything to be compatible! I assume it's so people have to spend money on upgrades.

mirocu
Jarl
Japan

DOS games

Post by mirocu » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:45 pm

Just played Mortal Kombat 3 again since my Windows 3.1 crashed last year! Works fine on the Windows 95 I bought now. I will continue to work on getting CyClones, Red Baron etc to work as well :1:
--------------

Miracle
InSomnia
Buddy

glargg
Jarl
Zodiac:
Elsweyr

DOS games

Post by glargg » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:56 pm

Danger! Danger! The Bird is opening a Time Warp, and the entire 21st Century may be sucked in!

mirocu
Jarl
Japan

DOS games

Post by mirocu » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:03 pm

glargg wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:56 pm
Danger! Danger! The Bird is opening a Time Warp, and the entire 21st Century may be sucked in!
One can only hope! :mrgreen:

Perhaps glargg knows what memory issues Red Baron is complaining about? I disabled some autostarting programs but I don't know if it's enough as I didn't have time to try again afterwards. RAM should be no issue; the game worked fine on the 3.1.
--------------

Miracle
InSomnia
Buddy

glargg
Jarl
Zodiac:
Elsweyr

DOS games

Post by glargg » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:59 am

DOS programs can only use the first 1 MB of memory. Same with 3.1, so it would run there. Windows 95 can see 32 bits of address, so it can handle larger RAM.

There may be a Windows setting to allocate a full "virtual" DOS space to the program. It's a long time since I used Windows 95.

Or maybe you have to "reboot to DOS" to load it.

mirocu
Jarl
Japan

DOS games

Post by mirocu » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:18 pm

I already was in DOS so that ain't it anyway. I seem to recall the same issue from way back btw. But it's so long ago I don't remember more about it.
--------------

Miracle
InSomnia
Buddy

mirocu
Jarl
Japan

DOS games

Post by mirocu » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Computer: Compaq Presario with Windows 95
Game: CyClones (DOS)

Got this sucker to work too! The only thing I couldn't check to see if it's ok was the sound and music as I don't have a speaker system plugged in at the moment. But it should be fine. Now I just hope I can still use my old saves from 1995-ish, that would be snassy :mrgreen:
--------------

Miracle
InSomnia
Buddy

mirocu
Jarl
Japan

DOS games

Post by mirocu » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 pm

glargg wrote:

--------------

Miracle
InSomnia
Buddy