The Witcher

glargg
Jarl
Zodiac:
Elsweyr

The Witcher

Post by glargg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:59 am

I don't see an existing topic for this series of games, so...

I own all three Witcher games, having bought them heavily on sale from GoG. I had played most of the way through the first game a few years back, but never finished it, and had never bothered to d/l the other two. I'm not generally into pre-set characters, and I never really got to like Geralt.

But...

I do own the games, and it seems a waste not to at least play through the stories once.

So...

I've started a Grand Playthrough. I've got the first game launched, and I'm going to play through all three in order.

Maybe. :D
Today is the last day before Tomorrow happens. Procrastinators take note.

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

The Witcher

Post by Serethil » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Have fun. I refuse to play games that don't let me choose to be female, not to mention I don't like games that want to tell ME the story.... Therefore I never played things like Myst/Riven etc either.
Loving fantasy since 1960 or so, FRPGs since 1975 (appx), and CRPGs since 1985....

"Matrilineal succession is the only thing that makes sense as far as I'm concerned, since you always know who the mother is, and the father could be anyone."

Kane
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

The Witcher

Post by Kane » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:17 pm

Have fun! I've been playing Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order lately - it's fun to beat up Storm Troopers!
:heart:

glargg
Jarl
Zodiac:
Elsweyr

The Witcher

Post by glargg » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:56 am

Serethil wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:54 pm
Have fun. I refuse to play games that don't let me choose to be female, not to mention I don't like games that want to tell ME the story.... Therefore I never played things like Myst/Riven etc either.
Yeah, that's ordinarily my preference, too. But, just as I might read a novel about a protagonist I can't "identify with," if it's a good enough story, I do make exceptions with some video games.

The problem with the Witcher that I've had up to now is that I can't relate to Geralt's attitude; he's too "transactional" for my moral compass. And the combat interface in game 1 is downright weird, with success based on timed "combinations." But it does have a compelling story, and a lot of the characters are interesting.

And it's difficult enough to be a challenge, which can be a plus or a minus depending upon one's sense of fun (and right now, having been playing ESO for perhaps too long a stretch, I'm ready for something a little more challenging. :) )

All in all, I'd say it's a brilliant but flawed series of games, and I'd like to get through it at least once.

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

The Witcher

Post by Serethil » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:42 am

Again, have fun. And good luck.

I never read stuff where the protagonist is someone I can't like. "Identify with" not so much. But if I can't like the protagonist? I'm not spending two seconds reading the first paragraph.
Loving fantasy since 1960 or so, FRPGs since 1975 (appx), and CRPGs since 1985....

"Matrilineal succession is the only thing that makes sense as far as I'm concerned, since you always know who the mother is, and the father could be anyone."

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

The Witcher

Post by Teridactyl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:11 am

I got a copy of Witcher III right when it first came out for free with the purchase of my first gaming laptop. I knew almost nothing about any of The Witcher books or other Witcher media, but figured I'd gotten it for "free", why not try it? I found it compelling enough, character-wise, but the menu system drove me bananas! Hit Tab to go to this menu, hit Backspace to go to this menu. Fight with this sword, now fight with that sword. Remember to repair them or they'll break... Learn to craft ALL OF THE THINGS, including potions, weapons, outfits, and armor for your friggin' horse. Press this button to do this fight move, press this button to do that fight move... LEARN THIS STUPID MINI CARD TRADING GAME (I hate RPG card games!) I mean, I expect a good deal of this stuff in a game, particularly an RPG, but holy moly. It was like it was trying to be every RPG that ever was. So I didn't get very far since I just wasn't all that invested in the story, anyway.

I just finished The Witcher series on Netflix, though, and now I feel a lot different. LOVED Henry Cavill as Geralt, LOOOOOOVED Anya Chalotra as Yennefer, in fact, I don't think there was a bad performance in the show, including the horse!

So I've installed it again and I'm attempting to slog my way through the system to get a little more of the story. But I'm playing on ultra-easy "Just Tell Me the Stupid Story" mode and it's still a pain in the ass. I get confused as to what keys to press to do what and just endlessly start mashing buttons to get through a fight. I'm now roughly at the same spot where I stopped last time, which is you have to defeat the lady wraith by the well to move on with the story line, and I couldn't beat her before. So, we'll see if I get past this, or if I throw it in again and just wait for the next season on Netflix. Something tells me the latter is gonna win.

It certainly does look pretty, though...
Entropy -- it's not what it used to be.

Kane
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

The Witcher

Post by Kane » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:15 pm

Some people really get off on weapon and armor degradation, but I've never seen it well implemented. Ballowers is still over at Bethnet ranting about how great it is. I didn't mind it much in Oblivion with the repair hammers, but by Atom is it bad in Fallout 3 and New Vegas. First thing I modded out.
:heart:

Serethil
Site Administrator
Zodiac:
Hammerfell

The Witcher

Post by Serethil » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:09 pm

It's not too bad in ESO - gold is easy enough to come by, and unless you die three times in a row, at 160CP, it's not really expensive. I think the most I've ever had to fork over was 50 gold or so.

glargg
Jarl
Zodiac:
Elsweyr

The Witcher

Post by glargg » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:30 am

Teridactyl wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:11 am
Fight with this sword, now fight with that sword. Remember to repair them or they'll break... Learn to craft ALL OF THE THINGS, including potions, weapons, outfits, and armor for your friggin' horse. Press this button to do this fight move, press this button to do that fight move... LEARN THIS STUPID MINI CARD TRADING GAME (I hate RPG card games!) I mean, I expect a good deal of this stuff in a game, particularly an RPG, but holy moly.
Yeah, that's the Witcher game philosophy. Geralt has to learn everything, do everything for himself. Different weapons for different enemies, different fighting techniques for different opponents, gotta do alchemy, read every book (which you have to buy, and money is not easy to come by early.)

But then again, the whole point of a Witcher is that he's an alchemical mutant, whose body has been altered to allow him to drink potions that briefly give him superhuman powers. And unlike in the Elder Scrolls games, you really get a sense of this as you play, since right from the outset Geralt can defeat monsters that easily kill the game's NPCs.

The hardest thing about playing the Witcher games is going in with the idea that having played other RPGs, you aren't a noob. The Witcher lets you know in no uncertain terms that you are indeed a noob. :D

Teridactyl
Knight
Zodiac:
United States of America

The Witcher

Post by Teridactyl » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:23 pm

glargg wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:30 am
The hardest thing about playing the Witcher games is going in with the idea that having played other RPGs, you aren't a noob. The Witcher lets you know in no uncertain terms that you are indeed a noob. :D
You ain't kidding, there! :lol:
Entropy -- it's not what it used to be.